Chocolate Guinness cake recipe
Whether you’re looking for a St Patrick’s Day dessert or looking to get rid of the surplus stout post-celebrations, Guinness makes a decadent chocolate cake that you don’t need to like stout to enjoy. I like this with a simple icing sugar dusting as it’s so rich, but you could make a Bailey’s buttercream topping to take it up another level.
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 100g plain chocolate
- 50g butter or margarine
- Teaspoon baking powder
- 250g flour
- 250g sugar
- 200ml Guinness stout
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat your oven to 180℃ or Gas Mark 4 and line a small cake tin or dish.
- Break the chocolate into chunks, then divide into two 50g piles. Set one aside for later, then melt the other half with butter in the microwave or a bain-marie.
- Add the baking powder, flour and sugar to the butter and chocolate and stir well.
- Add the stout, then the chocolate chunks; the mixture should be quite dense.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the top is smooth and crisp around the edges but the middle is still slightly soft. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.