Meat Free Monday: Mexican pizza recipe
This Mexican twist on pizza layers tortilla wraps with vegetables in a tomato sauce and grated cheese for a full-on pizza taste without a deep bread base. The kidney beans make it a filling meal, and the spices liven up the taste.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 200g can of chopped tomatoes
- 200g can of kidney beans, drained
- 100g vegetables (this can be frozen mixed vegetables or fresh depending on what you have in your fridge or freezer. I used a combination which included frozen peas and sweetcorn, as well as diced peppers and aubergine, which is what I happened to have lying around)
- ½ tsp chilli powder (add more or less depending on your taste)
- ½ tsp oregano
- 3 flour tortilla wraps
- 75g grated cheese (I used mature cheddar, but you can use whatever you prefer)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4.
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan, and add the onions to fry until translucent, then add the garlic.
- Add in the fresh vegetables and allow to cook.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and the chilli powder and oregano, and leave simmering until the sauce starts to thicken slightly.
- Add in any frozen vegetables and the kidney beans, and cook until the mixture is heated through.
- Now you can start assembling the layers: place a wrap on the baking tray and evenly spread someone of the vegetable mixture, topping it off with a sprinkle grated cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top, and continue layering until you’ve used three tortilla wraps.
- Spread a little vegetable mixture on top and finish off with a generous sprinkling of cheese.
- Place the tray into the oven for about 10-15 minutes, so that the cheese is melted.
- Cut into slices and serve with salad leaves!